A 25 year old man has been returned for trial by judge on jury on three terrorist related charges following an 18 month long garda investigation into Irish links with the funding of international Islamic extremism.
Hassan Bal, formerly of O’Connell Street in Waterford, was back at Waterford District Court on Tuesday where Insp Carmel Banville told the court that the DPP had directed that Mr Bal be tried on indictment on the three charges before a judge and jury at Waterford Circuit Criminal Court.
The Irish Times reports that Insp Banville confirmed that a book of evidence in the case had been served on Mr Bal and that the DPP had given directions on July 14th that he be tried on indictment and she was seeking a return to the current sittings of Waterford Circuit Criminal Court.
Judge Kevin Staunton granted the state application and remanded Mr Bal in custody to appear again at Waterford Circuit Criminal Court on July 25th and he assigned him free legal aid including a senior counsel to represent him on the three charges.
Last April, Mr Bal, an Irish citizen and an apprentice electrician, was charged with two offences when he was brought before Waterford District Court following his arrest and questioning by gardai about Irish links with Islamic extremism.
Mr Bal was first charged that within the state on October 23rd 2015, he attempted to collect funds for the benefit of an international terrorist group, contrary to Section 13 (4) of the Criminal Justice (Terrorist Offences) Act 2005.
And he was also charged on that occasion that he did within the state on October 2nd 2015, provide funds for the benefit of international terrorist group contrary to Section 13 (3) of the Criminal Justice (Terrorist Offences) Act 2005.
On Tuesday, Mr Bal was charged with a third offence that between 15th and 23rd October 2015, he did within the state incite another person to provide funds for the use of an international terrorist group contrary to Section 13 (3) of the Criminal Justice (Terrorist offences) Act 2005.
Det Sgt Donal Donohoe gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution in relation to this third charge and told the court that Mr Bal made no reply to the charge when it was put to him after caution and he applied for a remand in custody on the charge.
A previous court hearing was told that Mr Bal was born in the UK but moved to Ireland with his family in 2003 and lived first in Wexford before the family moved to Waterford where he lived in the family home until he got married and moved into a flat with his wife who is now pregnant.