Members of the Waterford fire service broke down 78-year-old Michael Barden’s front door and removed him from the home some time after 6:30pm yesterday.
Emergency workers’ attempts to provide CPR were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Foul play is not suspected, it’s understood Mr. Barden was burning material, in two buckets in his sitting room, and may been overcome by fumes.
He was described by neighbours as a ‘the nicest, quietest man’ who rarely left his home except to go to nearby Barrack Street for his shopping.
It’s understood that a woman living on the road raised the alarm on Tuesday evening when her own carbon monoxide alarm went off. Fire service workers who arrived to check the area knocked on Mr Barden’s front door but got no response.
A gas worker who was dispatched to the scene got a high reading on the street.