Ireland’s oldest city, founded by Norwegian pirates in 914 is the city in Ireland with a Viking-derived place name. To celebrate its Viking heritage, Veðrafjǫrðr/Waterford will mount a Festival on Easter Saturday, Sunday and Monday 2018 to act as a flagship event in Ireland’s Ancient East, kick starting the region’s tourism season.
In 2018 the city is celebrating the 1100th anniversary of the conquest of York (Jorvik) in England by King Reginald of Waterford who when he died in 921 was called King of all the Vikings of England and Ireland. Waterford will welcome Viking Visitors from across Europe for a weekend of great family fun and excitment.
As well as fierce Viking Battles in Cathedral Square, there is going to be a Viking Village, workshops and Viking memorabilia and ornaments. There will be Viking stories, Viking songs and music from Iceland, Viking drummers from Spain, Viking longboats on the River Suir plus a spectacular Viking Roadshow on Ireland’s biggest screen in the Apple Market!
Are you excited yet?
Ollie and Mary want the business of “Vadrarfjordr” to get involved!
We want the businesses of Waterford to get involved and come up with a Viking initiative for the festival. Your idea could win you and your staff the Ultimate Team Day Out in #VikingWaterford.
Stuck for ideas? You could …
- Set up a Viking-themed window display
- Have your staff dress as Vikings
- Create a Viking cocktail
- Add a Viking special to your menu
Our #VikingWaterford Entrants
The businesses of Waterford were busy putting on their Viking thinking hats! They came up with some clever ideas to support the Viking Festival. Take a look of some of the entrants so far!
Your idea could win you and 7 staff the Ultimate Team Day Out in Viking Waterford:
- Relaxation treatment at Karuna Day Spa Baileys New Street (Suitable for males and females)
- Lunch at the House of Waterford Crystal
- Guided VIP Factory Tour at the House of Waterford Crystal
- Visit to King of the Vikings, Viking Virtual Reality Experience
- Glass of Wine at The Fat Angel Wine Bar, Cathedral Square
- Dinner and Drinks at ‘Ireland’s Ancient Feast’ in Suas Restaurant at The Reg
To be in with a chance of winning this amazing prize, just fill out the form below and let us know what your Vikingtastic idea is!
Don’t forget to share a picture of your Viking initiative on Twitter and Instagram!