A man has died after a suspected case of carbon monoxide poisoning in Waterford City.
The incident happened at a house in the Connolly Place area some time after 6:20pm this evening (Tuesday).
Fire crews, gardaí, the ambulance service and staff from Gas Networks Ireland responded to the incident after the alarm was raised by a neighbour.
Gas Networks Ireland has issued a statement in relation to the incident:
“At 6.20pm this evening (6th March, 2018), Gas Networks Ireland was asked by the Waterford Fire Service to attend an incident at 29 Connolly Place, Waterford City. While the cause of the incident is unknown, we can confirm that it is not related to natural gas. Gas Networks Ireland crew attended on site and assisted the emergency services with their operations.”
Speaking at the scene, Mayor of the Waterford Metropolitan District, Seán Reinhardt said it was the second tragedy to strike Waterford in a short space of time, following an explosion in the Ballytruckle area on Sunday.
“We’ve had this cold snap… You can’t help but keep heating running during a spell like this,” he said.
“I spoke to some of the firemen, and they said that it was an unfortunate case of carbon monoxide poisoning. Perhaps we need more awareness and some more checks just to make sure everyone is safe and sound where they live.”