News

'Spontaneous combustion' to blame for fire in Waterford

It seems spontaneous combustion was behind a barn fire in Waterford in recent days.

Fire crews from Waterford City Fire Service attended a blaze on Tuesday.

In a post on their social media, they say moisture is usually considered a way of putting out a fire but under certain conditions it can actually cause one.

When hay and straw are baled at moisture levels over 20%, mesophilic bacteria release heat that can lead to spontaneous combustion.

Advertisement

This particular fire was quickly brought under control before any severe structural damage could be caused.

For all your latest Waterford news and sport, click here.

Advertisement