Blues let two goal lead slip to share spoils in Limerick

Blues let two goal lead slip to share spoils in Limerick

Treaty United 2 Waterford FC 2

Waterford FC let a two goal lead slip away and had to settle for a share of the spoils with Treaty United in their rearranged SSE First Division fixture at the Market’s Field.

The Blues lineup showed four changes from the side that secured the one nil victory at Bray on Friday with Darragh Power, Romeo Akachukwu and Dean McMenamy all rested while Cameron Cresswell was suspended. Drew Baker, Roland Idowu, Christie Pattisson and Sam Perry all returned.

And the visitors got off the perfect start with a goal inside two minutes as Idowu and Conor Parsons combined before Parsons fired low into the area where the ball bobbled around before hitting Pattisson and looping over the goalkeeper for his first goal for the club.

The lead was doubled by the tenth minute as Conor Parsons was fouled by Robbie Lynch inside the area and referee Kevin O Sullivan pointed to the spot. Parsons dusted himself off to fire the spot kick past Corey Chambers.


Sam Sargeant was called on to touch an excellent Stephen Christopher shot around the posts for Treaty’s best chance 3 minutes before the break.

Keith Long made three changes at the break with Drew Baker, Niall O Keeffe and Idowu being called ashore and Power, McMenamy and Rowan McDonald coming into the side.

However the changes failed to inspire the Blues and they had to wait until their first attack of the second half on 71 minutes before securing a chance to put the game to bed. Parsons was fouled inside the area for a second time but his resultant penalty was saved by Chambers on this occasion.

This seemed to inspire the home side and they had former Blue Success Edogun to thank for a four minute performance that produced two goals. The first came just after the penalty as he latched onto a through ball and as Sargeant raced out of his goal, the tall striker chipped over him and into an empty net.


The equaliser arrived moments later as Marc Ludden fed Edogun who peeled away to his right before curling a beauty into the top corner for a deserved share of the spoils.

TREATY UNITED: Corey Chambers, Marc Ludden, Lee Devitt, Sean Guerins, Dean O’Shea (Willie Armshaw ’90), Success Edogun, Dean George, Stephen Christopher (Conor Barry ’70), Colin Conroy (Adam Lennon ’90), Darren Nwankwo, Robbie Lynch (Scott Kirkland ’90).

WATERFORD FC: Sam Sargeant, Drew Baker (Dean McMenamy ’46), Kilian Cantwell, Giles Phillips, Ryan Burke, Niall O’Keeffe (Darragh Power ’46), Sam Perry, Roland Idowu (Rowan McDonald ’46) (Romeo Akachukwu ’81), Christie Pattisson, Serge Atakayi (Anthony Adenopo ’60), Connor Parsons.

Referee: Kevin O’Sullivan (Cork).