Connolly fires Cork to first win 

Tomás McCarthy at Walsh Park  Two Alan Connolly goals gave Cork their first win of the Munster championship against fourteen-man Waterford in a fiery encounter before a crowd of 10,986 at Walsh Park this afternoon (2-22 to 1-19).

Austin Gleeson was sent off on two yellows after 63 minutes for an off-the-ball incident with Robert Downey. Man of the match Seamus Harnedy shot five points from play as Liam Cahill lost his unbeaten home record. Gleeson was Waterford's star man with four points before his dismissal. This result means that Cork and Waterford are level on two points each heading into the last round next weekend.
Three-time All-Star Jamie Barron made his first start of the season at midfield for Waterford. Cork made four changes as Damian Cahalane, Luke Meade, Conor Lehane, and Alan Connolly all started.
Rebel skipper Mark Coleman won the toss and chose to play with the wind. Patrick Horgan became the top scorer in championship history with a free in the fourth minute.
After a fiesty start, Austin Gleeson lifted the home crowd with an over-the-shoulder point. Four Stephen Bennett frees gave the hosts a 6-2 lead after 14 minutes.
A point from Cork goalkeeper Patrick Collins from inside his own half levelled matters at six all. On 22 minutes, Darragh Fitzgibbon cut through and fed Robbie O'Flynn. Waterford were a man short as Carthach Daly lay on the ground. O'Flynn's shot was saved by Shaun O'Brien but Alan Connolly belted the rebound home.
Jack Prendergast hit back with a point, Waterford's first in ten minutes. On 24 minutes, Patrick Curran saw his shot saved by Patrick Collins and Michael Kiely finished the rebound. Collins then tipped over a wicked shot from Bennett as Waterford scored 1-4 without reply.
Cork rallied with four in a row. Darragh Fitzgibbon made a mighty catch and soloed through to strike over the equaliser.
An awesome Austin Gleeson point from the stand sideline, his third, edged Waterford back in front. The home side struggled on their own puckouts towards the end of the half and long-range efforts by Mark Coleman and Fitzgibbon snuck Cork 1-12 to 1-11 ahead at the break.
A Horgan free and a Shane Kingston point put the visitors three to the good. Record-breaker Horgan was subbed on 40 minutes. Patrick Curran hit a massive point for Waterford from the bank sideline before Bennett struck his seventh from a free. On 44 minutes, Curran flicked the ball inside to Jack Fagan but he batted right and wide. Two Seamus Harnedy points made it 1-16 to 1-13 to the Rebels. Neil Montgomery and Austin Gleeson narrowed to one.
On 52 minutes, Seamus Harnedy and Shane Kingston combined in a flowing Cork move before Alan Connolly goaled for the second time (2-16 to 1-15). A Conor Lehane free opened up a five point gap.
Waterford subs Peter Hogan and Neil Montgomery raised white flags as Cork boss Kieran Kingston was yellow carded. Stephen Bennett missed two frees before Shane Kingston pointed at the other end.
Gleeeson was dismissed on a second yellow with seven minutes left after he tangled off the ball with Robert Downey. The Cork number three also saw yellow. Two late Conor Lehane points clinched the Cork win. Scorers for Cork: Alan Connolly 2-0, Seamus Harnedy, Conor Lehane (2fs) 0-5 each, Patrick Horgan 0-4 (4fs), Mark Coleman, Darragh Fitzgibbon, Shane Kingston 0-2 each, Patrick Collins, Luke Meade 0-1 each. Scorers for Waterford: Stephen Bennett 0-7 (6fs), Austin Gleeson 0-4 (1f), Michael Kiely 1-0, Patrick Curran 0-3 (1f), Neil Montgomery 0-2, Peter Hogan, Jack Prendergast, Shane Bennett 0-1 each.