First round defeat for Déise minor hurlers

The Limerick minors got the better of Waterford 1-7 to 0-7 on the opening night of the Munster championship in wretched wind and rain at Fraher Field.

Two pools of water in front of the stand made conditions treacherous for both teams. Referee Shane Scanlon carried out a pitch inspection twenty minutes before the game and deemed it playable. Stewards tried desperately to rake the water off the field but the wind and rain continued to batter the Dungarvan venue throughout the game.

A first half goal from Cathal Hayes proved the difference for the visitors while Hugh Flanagan, Robert O'Farrell and Dara Ferland all got two points apiece from play. Goalkeeper Joe Fitzgerald made a big save from Conor Tobin ten minutes from time. Captain Sean Morrissey also starred at corner back. Adam Regan rifled over two points for the hosts while Conor Tobin also looked dangerous. Dylan Ryan battled hard at full back.

The home side chose to play with the elements but trailed 1-4 to 0-4 at the break. After eighteen seconds, Limerick attacker Darren Collopy was denied a goal by Déise netminder Leon Lannon. Hugh Flanagan and Colm Hartley traded points before Lannon saved again, this time from Hugh Flanagan. In the ninth minute, a short puckout from Lannon went awry and Limerick full forward Cathal Hayes finished the ball to the unguarded net (1-1 to 0-1).


Two Dara Ferland singles and a fine solo effort from Robert O'Farrell opened a 1-4 to 0-2 advantage for the Shannonsiders. Limerick were guilty of six first half wides. Adam Regan sent over Waterford's first point from play after 24 minutes before Hartley converted his third free. Déise corner forward Conor Tobin hit the post in injury time when he had goal on his mind.

Hartley narrowed the gap to two six minutes into the second period as conditions worsened. Limerick registered three more wides before Robert O'Farrell split the posts on 41 minutes from 50 metres. Wing back Jack Cosgrove then nailed a free from his own half.

Ten minutes from the end, Conor Tobin beat three Limerick defenders but goalkeeper Joe Fitzgerald was equal to his shot. Hugh Flanagan's second point of the night, from a tight angle, made it 1-7 to 0-6 with six minutes left.

David Comerford gave the home team hope with an injury time free. Despite shooting twelve wides, the Shannonsiders held on. Comerford stood over another free on 67 minutes but Fitzgerald batted it away to safety.