What are the Winterval dates this year?
Winterval 2021 runs from Friday November 19th until Thursday December 23rd. Organisers say you can look forward to a five-week programme with over 100 free and ticketed events. Winterval aims to bring Christmas celebration, festive food and craft markets. There will also be live music, arts and family attractions.
This year's theme
The theme of Winterval 2021 is Celebrate Together. It marks the resurgence of live events after restrictions, and the reunion of communities, families and friends.
Festival Co-Director Shell Holden says
Building upon the wonderfully rich and much-loved nine year history of Winterval, this year’s world-class festival line-up is bigger and brighter than ever with Ireland’s largest Christmas tree measuring over 50ft tall, over 100 free and ticketed festive activities, shows and surprises and over 130 hours of festive-fun, memory-makers and belly-laughs for all ages to enjoy.
The Mayor of Waterford City and County, Cllr. Joe Kelly says “We are delighted that the magic of Winterval is returning to Waterford once again. This year, more than ever, a festival that celebrates family and togetherness is particularly welcome. Waterford has so much to offer all year round, but Winterval really focuses the spotlight on the magic of the City and County."
What's on this year?
Winterval 2021 will featured a varied programme of events. Among the attractions are:
- Ar Ais Le Cheile, an Irish living language area for families
- The Petstival zone filled with doggie delights and pet programming
- Festive food and craft markets showcasing Irish producers
- Ireland’s largest Christmas tree, shining bright right at the heart of Waterford City
- Five "Festive City Quarters" - the Continental Christmas Market Quarter (John Roberts Square / Broad Street / Michael’s Street), Elfstival Festival Family Quarter (Arundel Square), The Ever-Greenway Quarter (The Apple Market), Christmas Cultural Quarter (O’Connell Street) and the Winterval Wonder-Events Quarter (The Viking Triangle).
Visitors are encouraged to soak up the Christmas atmosphere by enjoying the markets, riding the carousel, posting letters to Santa at Winterval's gigantic Postbox and visiting the man himself at the Old Sorting Office on the Quays. There will be live music at the Apple Market "Sunday Sessions" and a tent will be erected at Constitution Square from December 17th to 23rd with an array of festive food and drink.
Don't forget Waterford City was recently voted best place to live in Ireland! So what better year than this to visit Winterval.
For the full programme and details on tickets see the Winterval website.