Waterford FC knock St Pat's Athletic out of FAI Cup after stunning display

St Patrick’s Athletic 2

Waterford FC 3

Waterford FC produced a stunning defensive display to stun FAI Cup holders St Patrick’s Athletic to advance into the second round of the competition with a 3-2 win at Richmond Park.

The home side took the lead with 12 minutes on the clock when Junior Quitirna released Phoenix Patterson down the right flank, who in turn put the ball to the back post with a wonderful cross, and Wassim Aouachria found the near corner with a left-footed finish.


Pat’s levelled from the penalty spot six minutes later Mark Doyle was brought down in the area by Tunmise Sobowale that saw referee Rob Hennessy point straight to the spot, and Ronan Coughlan sent Paul Martin the wrong way from 12 yards.

The hosts struck the lead on 28 minutes when they won a free out on the left that saw Thijs Timmermans whip over an excellent ball to the back post where Tom Grivosti beat Paul Martin with a free header.

Wassim Aouachria was handed the equalising goal on a plate four minutes later when he took advantage of mistake by Sergi Atakayi to race clear on goal, and he slipped a low left-footed shot past Joe Anang from just inside the area.

Danny Searle’s side turned the games on its head on 42 minutes when Sobowale’s throw out on the right saw Quitirna play a neat 1-2 with Shane Griffin, before curling a brilliant left-footed strike past a helpless Joe Anang from 18 yards.


With the Waterford player out on their feet considering the effort that they put into the game to this point, they survived two chances from Ronan Coughlan, who went close through headers..

Chris Forrester had a chance on 82 minutes when he couldn’t hit the target with an effort from the edge of the area, before the hosts created another opportunity seven minutes from time, but Tunde Owolabi failed to hit the target from 16 yards.

Paul Martin produced a stunning save on 86 minutes when he denied the saints an equalising goal when he somehow kept out a certain goalbound effort from Joe Redmond after Breslin’s delivery from the left-side with the rebound from Mark Doyle going over.

Roland Idowu should have wrapped the game up two minutes later when he got free on the right-side of the area, but he blazed over the bar, as the Blues withstood six added minutes to cause a major cup shock.


ST PATRICK’S ATHLETIC: Joe Anang, Barry Cotter, Paddy Barrett (Adam O’Reilly ’46), Tom Grivosti, Anthony Breslin, Serge Atakayi (Chris Forrester ’46), Jamie Lennon (Eoin Doyle ’60), Joe Redmond, Mark Doyle, Thijs Timmermans (Billy King ’46), Ronan Coughlan (Tunde Owolabi ’73).

WATERFORD FC: Paul Martin, Tunmise Sobowale, Richard Taylor, Kilian Cantwell, Darragh Power, Niall O’Keeffe, Shane Griffin, Roland Idowu, Junior Quitirna, Phoenix Patterson, Wassim Aouachria.

Referee: Rob Hennessy (Clare).