Back to back Conway Cups for The Nire

Conor Gleeson gave a man of the match display as The Nire claimed back to back Conway Cups at a windy Walsh Park. The Ballymacarbry side held on for a nervy 0-10 to 0-8 win over Comeragh rivals Rathgormack.

Despite playing some of the game with a dislocated shoulder, the Waterford hurler shot four points for Michael Ryan's men including a marvellous 40 metre effort in the second half.

Aaron Ryan struck three from play including the clincher two minutes into injury time. Midfield duo Sean Walsh and Tholom Guiry dominated the skies.

Rathgormack lost their third county final in a row. The green and red rued eleven wides. They battered the Nire goal in search of an injury time winner but couldn't find a way through fifteen yellow and blue bodies.


Rathgormack played with the strong wind in the first half and raced three points up after seven minutes. Jason Curry converted a free before Conor Murray and Stephen Curry split the posts from play.

Conor Gleeson got The Nire on the scoreboard in the eighth minute before Dermot Ryan popped over two frees. Sean Walsh gave an exhibition of high fielding.

Billy Power put Rathgormack back in front on 23 minutes. Gleeson levelled again from a tight angle before Aaron Ryan sent The Nire ahead for the first time.

Glen Power tied it up for the third time after Billy Power found him with a gorgeous crossfield ball. Five points apiece at the break.


Five minutes into the second half, Gleeson swung over a wonder point from 40 metres off his right. He added a free to make it 7-5.

Jason Curry got Rathgormack's first point of the second period but Jamie Barron responded at the other end.

Conor Murray brought it back to a single point entering the last quarter. With ten minutes left, Dermot Ryan found Aaron Ryan off a quick 45 and he raised a white flag (0-9 to 0-7).

A Jason Gleeson free left a point in it two minutes into injury time before Aaron Ryan sealed victory.

Scorers for The Nire: C Gleeson 0-4 (1f), A Ryan 0-3, D Ryan 0-2 (2fs), J Barron 0-1.

Scorers for Rathgormack: C Murray, J Curry (1f) 0-2 each, G Power, B Power, S Curry, J Gleeson (f) 0-1 each.

The Nire: S Ryan; S Boyce, T Barron, J Mulcahy; D Ryan, J McGrath, F Hallinan; S Walsh, T Guiry; J Barron, D Guiry, A Ryan; C Walsh, C Gleeson, K Cuddy.

Subs: C Guiry for C Walsh (48), M Moore for Gleeson (59).

Rathgormack: P Hunt; C Crowch, C Walsh, L Connolly; G Power, M Power, W Hahessy; D Hennebry, M Curry; J Power, C Murray, B Power; J Curry, S Curry, R Elliffe.

Subs: J Gleeson for J Curry (Blood, 26-27), J Gleeson for Elliffe (42), R Flynn for G Power (49).

Referee: T Tobin