Kingdom claim the spoils in All-Ireland Championship

Kingdom claim the spoils in All-Ireland Championship

Kerry 4.13 - 0.09 Waterford
All-Ireland Championship, Fitzgerald Stadium. 

Waterford will have to rally and go again if they are to proceed in the All-Ireland Ladies' Football Championship following defeat to Kerry at Fitzgerald Stadium on Saturday.

Taking on a Kerry side who needed to win following their opening day draw with Donegal was always going to be a tall order and the hosts proved their quality, winning by sixteen points.

Kerry opened up with the first two scores from Louise Ni Mhuircheartaigh and Captain Niamh Carmody. Dual star Mairead O'Brien tacked over Waterford's first point in the 10th minute, scoring from a tight angle down the right flank. It would prove to be the visitors only score until the 17th minute, in which time Kerry had 1.03 on the board.


Hannah O' Donoghue had burst through the midfield, playing a tidy 1-2 with Emma Dineen before O'Donoghue drilled it low to the bottom left corner of Evelyn O'Brien's net, with Danielle O'Leary adding another point.

Kerry took control of the game at that point, dominating the kick outs and turnovers to punish Waterford's defence.

Two quickfire points from O'Donoghue and a free-from Ni Mhuircheartaigh had Waterford at a seven-point deficit, which was compounded by a Kelly Ann Hogan wide and a Katie Murray's charge at goal being snuffed out by the Kingdom defenders.

A Déise kick out was then gathered by Mary O'Connell who found O'Leary, duly finishing to the back of the net to raise their second green flag, stretching the lead to ten.


Four more Kerry scores before the break had them in cruise control with Niamh Ni Chonchuir, Aishling O'Connell and Ni Mhuircheartaigh all on the mark.

Captain Hogan found one more score for Waterford before the whistle blew, to head for the changing room 13 points short at 2.10 to 0.03.

The second half was much the same, with Kerry proving to be the better side, despite Waterford's positive start.

Eve Power announced her introduction to the game, pointing in the first minute. Kerry responded through O'Leary, but then for a moment, the tide felt like turning, even a little.

Mairead O'Brien swatted a Kelly Ann Hogan point attempt over the bar and Waterford looked to be finding their way into the game, but with blunt execution, Kerry goaled again. Siofra O'Shea did the damage, essentially ending the contest with Kerry now fifteen points in the clear.

One more score, a free, for Waterford was sent over the bar by Emma Fitzgerald, but Kerry were not done. An Aishling O Connell point secured her the player of the match award, while a point and a goal from Emma Dineen hammered the final nail into Waterford's coffin.

The Déise are back in action next Sunday, June 23rd when Donegal make the long trip to Walsh Park. A win will be the only option for Waterford if they want to extend their summer.