Yellow Vest protesters say they’re not going away until the Taoiseach has resigned and a general election is called.
The movement which has held demonstrations in Dublin every Saturday for the past 5 weeks has this weekend staged additional protests in towns and cities around the country including Waterford.
Posted by Yellow Vest Ireland on Saturday, January 12, 2019
Hundreds took to the streets yesterday in Dublin, Waterford, Galway, Limerick, Wicklow, Donegal and Belfast.
In Waterford they marched through the city calling for 24/7 cardiac care services.
The movement is named after the high-visibility vests – gilets jaunes – that motorists in France must keep in their cars.
It subsequently widened into an expression of broader anti-establishment sentiment in both France and elsewhere in Europe.
The Yellow Vest Ireland group says it has 18 demands, which covers issues ranging from the CervicalCheck scandal and mortgage debt to medicinal cannabis and vulture funds.
Yellow Vest Demands
1. We demand, Citizens initiated Referenda similar to Switzerland.
2. Immediate halt on all evictions and cameras allowed in all civil courts.
3. We demand that Leo Varadkar declare a General Election & resign.
4. Cervical Cancer HSE staff responsible fired & Simon Harris resign.
5. Constitutional protection of Ireland’s water from privatisation.
6. Medicinal Cannabis legalised immediately.
7. Abolish Vulture Funds.
8. Prohibition on TDs from being housing Landlords or beneficiaries.
9. Mortgage debt write off for all family homes similar to what Iceland did.
10. Return Ireland’s Oil & Gas reserves to public ownership.
11. An effective means to Remove corrupt Gardai, civil servants & judges.
12. Public banking prioritised over private Banking greed.
13. Immediate distribution of Food/fuel vouchers for people going hungry and cold.
14. Cap rent per bedroom to €400 per month.
15. Abolishment of the TV Licence.
16. Enforce full corporate tax rate on multinationals and collect revenues owed.
17. A Raise in minimum wage to actual living costs.
18. Abolish household charge and property tax.