If you’ve noticed a missed call from a phone number beginning with any of the prefixes listed below, do NOT call them back.
It has been reported that Irish mobile phone customers have been receiving calls from the Seychelles (+248), Tonga (+676), Nauru (+676), Mauritania (+222 ) and Chad (+235). WLR’s Teresanne missed a call from a 00 248 number on Monday!
The calls usually ring for a short period of time before dropping, often prompting the recipient to return the call, which could cost you hundreds of Euro on your phone bill.
ComReg, Ireland’s communications regulator, warns people to be vigilant when answering or returning calls to any unknown or unidentifiable numbers.
The regulator advises taking the following precautions:
• Avoid answering calls from numbers that you cannot identify, especially if you are not expecting a call.
• Hang up immediately, on calls where there appears to be no recipient on the other end.
• Be wary of multiple calls being received from the same number.
• Do not call back any number that leaves you a blank voicemail message.
• Do not provide any personal information for example – banking details/PPS number/credit card details/name and address/passport number etc.